Brand Content Strategist
The Brand Content Strategist is a combination storyteller and strategic planner, aligning content creation with the business and brand goals of the organization. In collaboration with the Creative Team, this position identifies, collects, creates, develops and curates content (written, visual, video) about artisans, products, customers and brand for all media platforms (including digital, social, print) for distribution and use throughout our revenue and communication channels. As an inspired advocate for the brand, this position engages internal teams and the store network in implementing the customer brand experience.
This position supports and contributes to the Ten Thousand Villages mission by:
Developing stories — about products, artisans and the fair trade movement — and determining the strategy for successfully sharing these stories to engage customers and supporters and grow our markets.
Strategic Storytelling / Content Planning and Creation
- Lead content planning, story development and messaging with the Creative Team and other stakeholders, collaborating on the creation and implementation of content experiences that build our brand and add value to engaged and potential audiences.
- Create and manage an editorial content calendar.
- Develop strategic content roadmaps that connect the dots across channels and initiatives. Identify gaps in content and recommend topics and delivery methods to support the customer, advocate, and/or donor at multiple points in their journey.
- Evaluate analytics to measure the effectiveness of content and channels, providing recommendations for improvements.
- Write and create original content as well as edit and proofread content created by others, ensuring it is clear and compelling and promotes a consistent brand story.
- As blog editor, oversee/assign blog posts; write stories and create content as needed.
- Follow industry-related news and generate ideas around trending topics that play to our brand’s strengths.
Internal Brand Engagement
- Under the guidance of the Creative Director and in collaboration with the Creative Team, manage and develop an authentic brand voice and story, including creating guides and defining best practices to help ensure alignment across all channels.
- Lead and collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to engage staff in brand awareness and training, including onboarding of new hires and store customer experience.
- Oversee the development and use of the Story Hub, a digital library of image and content assets that can be utilized by internal creators and the store network.
- Establish and manage a content lifecycle workflow for initiating, concepting, creating, editing, publishing and archiving content.
- Manage some production of content executed by external creatives, ensuring alignment with our brand story.
- Coordinate creative content for advancement activities, ensuring alignment with our brand story.
- In partnership with Director of Artisan Relations, coordinate story gathering with artisan groups.
- Perform additional duties/responsibilities as requested which contribute to the position’s success and the mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Digital Media, Marketing or related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience in content strategy, creative communications, marketing, digital media, social media or relevant field; portfolio required
- Ability to visually and verbally articulate clear and concise ideas, strategies and thought processes, and understand how to tell compelling stories
- Strong copywriting and editing skills
- Highly collaborative with strong relational skills
- Ability to guide and motivate team members in creative thinking and problem solving
- Ability to take initiative, work on multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Computer proficiency, including in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and a working knowledge of Adobe programs
- Experience in video editing and design a plus
- Retail background a plus
Types of Interaction (internal):
- Across organization with multiple departments and including the store network
Type of Interaction (external):
- Hiring and overseeing freelance creatives
- Artisan groups
- Customers and supporters
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment, requires close visual acuity, frequent typing, and both hearing and talking abilities. While the role is largely sedentary, occasional bending, lifting of up to 10 pounds, and ability to move throughout the building is necessary.
- This job operates in a professional office environment and is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions.