Business Intelligence Specialist
The Business Intelligence Specialist (BIS) plays a central role in deriving value from the College’s investment in a world-class enterprise reporting infrastructure. The BIS leads the College’s efforts to continuously develop and improve F&M’s enterprise reporting architecture currently built on IBM Cognos and Ellucian ODS/EDW products. The BIS provides centralized administration, training and configuration management resources to enable de-centralized operational/transactional report development by staff in administrative areas across campus. The BIS also provides data analysis and report authoring support to tactical and strategic level reporting efforts. The BIS works closely with the database administrator (DBA) to integrate data from disparate systems into the institutional data store and warehouse for delivery through enterprise reporting tools.
- Assure quality of business intelligence by developing and enforcing standards for report development, testing, and deployment.
- Design, implement, and maintain data abstractions that support reporting and data abstraction (e.g., Cognos frameworks, Oracle views, etc.).
- Assist with populating the data store from the ERP and other enterprise systems.
- Assist with system integrations involving the extraction of data from the data store.
- Catalogue business intelligence assets, including reports, data abstractions, and other solutions.
- Train decentralized report development resources across the College on topics including use of specific tools and data analysis.
- Train report consumers across the College on use of specific tools, availability of solutions, and means of accomplishing business intelligence related tasks.
- Prioritize, provide data analysis for, and provide authoring services for reporting projects with unusually complex requirements.
- Keep abreast of changing technology in general and its application in the higher education environment specifically. Also maintain a deep knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and best practices in business intelligence, data warehousing and analytics. Utilize this knowledge and experience to actively identify relevant initiatives for local exploration and possible implementation.
- As appropriate, both leads and participates in key projects and strategic initiatives.
Full-time members of the Franklin & Marshall College professional staff receive competitive starting pay and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health coverage, dental, vision, generous retirement savings plan contributions, education benefits for employees, spouses and dependent children, and enjoy access to all College facilities including dining venues to suit all tastes, recreation and fitness facilities, and libraries, plus access to College performances, lectures, and events.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer-related field or 5-7 years relevant experience.
- Experience with report authoring in IBM Cognos (preferred) or another enterprise reporting tool.
- Expertise in relational database concepts including SQL authoring and data analysis.
- Strong customer service orientation; and project management experience.
- Ability to write clear, accurate documentation.
- Thorough knowledge of all phases of software development life-cycle.
- Ability to analyze data and make local recommendations based on national and local trends and to design processes that enhance services while maximizing college resources.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, to include the ability to effectively make presentations to and relate technical concepts to an audience of mixed technical background and varying abilities.
- Familiarity with Ellucian Banner/ODS/EDW products is a plus, as is experience in a college or university setting.
The ability and willingness to provide excellent service and to work in a collegial manner with students, faculty and staff, and other constituencies is essential.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of reference checks, a criminal background verification, and verification of credentials. The College will coordinate these verifications.