HOUSING PROGRAMS SPECIALIST
The primary goal of the Housing Programs Specialist is to assist in the delivery of programs, services, and resources related to populations with special needs, with an additional responsibility of supporting the agency’s fair housing and landlord/tenant education efforts. The Housing Programs Specialist will achieve these goals through the creation and monitoring of education and resources specifically aimed at increasing opportunities and stability for decent, affordable housing for members of our community who are marginalized. The position is under the supervision of the Director of the Housing Equality and Equity Institute at the Lancaster Housing Opportunity Partnership (LHOP).
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Director of the Housing Equality and Equity Institute and Administrative Coordinator, provides consultation to individuals regarding their rights, responsibilities, options, and remedies under fair housing and landlord/tenant law. Empowers community partners to create and sustain equal, affordable, and accessible housing opportunities in Lancaster County.
- In collaboration with partners, cultivates relationships with social workers, governments, tenants, landlords, property managers, housing developers, Realtors, other housing providers and media to educate residents of the County of Lancaster about their fair housing rights.
- Applies knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate clients of their rights and responsibilities.
- Ensures the effectiveness of the Community Rental Equity Fund- CREF (formerly Landlord Risk Reduction Fund). Carefully monitors CREF, reporting any late rental payment, damage or potential financial losses to the Director of the Housing Equality and Equity Institute. Coordinates inspections with service and housing provider and maintains a proactive communication with all the parties involved in the program
- Creates and provides monthly reports on program and services to the Director of the Housing Equality and Equity Institute.
- Implements policies and procedures for set aside units for people with disabilities at 20% Average Median Income (AMI) as Local Lead Agency (LLA) for Lancaster County. In collaboration with the Director of Housing Equality and Equity Institute, encourages housing development companies that apply for Low Income Housing Tax Credits to increase units for individuals with disabilities, write letters of support for new projects that meet the required amount of set aside units, prepare and sign memorandums of understanding and serve as referral entity.
- Manages the 811 Project Rental Assistance units for Lancaster County, including providing outreach presentations to new service providers. Assist consumers, service providers and housing providers with the application process, and maintain a consumer wait list for the 811 units in Lancaster County.
- Ensures all service providers for individuals with disabilities are invited to participate in accessing the available resources under the Local Lead Agency and 811 grant programs.
- Participates in Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency and Department of Human Services meetings, trainings and other events that pertain to the management of PA’s Local Lead Agency program and 811 Project Rental Assistance program and act on behalf of the County of Lancaster for those programs.
- Assists with public relations and advertising activities through communication sources to increase community awareness of the services provided by the Housing Equality and Equity Institute. Manage social media campaigns, news or events regarding the Housing Equality & Equity Institute.
- Attends team/staff meetings and trainings.
Performs duties as assigned by management.