Temporary Store Manager
This Store Manager position is located at our Ten Thousand Villages store soon to open in Lancaster City.
- 3 – 5 years experience in retail management and/or sales preferred.
- Self -motivated, outgoing, energetic and enjoy working with people.
- Confident in arithmetic and data entry skills.
- Working knowledge of basic computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and the Internet.
- Capability and willingness to carry out all duties in a careful and responsible manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to execute multiple tasks and changing priorities while simultaneously maintaining awareness for details.
- Ability to motivate and influence a team and achieve results through actions and example.
- Ability to think through complex issues, develops strategies, and execute successfully.
- Ability to attractively display merchandise according to Company guidelines.
- Commitment to maintain compliance with Company dress codes and policies.
- Enthusiastic support of and commitment to Ten Thousand Villages mission and its goals.
- Ability to be mobile on the sales floor for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and move up to 75lbs, utilizing appropriate equipment and safety techniques.
The Ten Thousand Villages Store Manager is accountable for all aspects of the store. The Store Manager provides leadership to achieve or exceed budgeted sales goals and effectively manage the profit and loss statement of the store. The Store Manager is expected to effectively manage store operations, inventory levels, and maintain visual merchandising standards. The Store Manager promotes a sales culture that is positive for all staff and volunteers and builds productivity. He or she ensures that all customers receive the highest level of customer service and positive brand experience.
All duties should be carried out to contribute to company-wide growth in sales and profits, increased productivity, and increased purchases from artisans while keeping expenses within budget.
Responsible To: Retail Sales Manager
Full-time, exempt position (approx. 40 hours/week). Must be flexible in scheduling and able to work opening and closing shift at least three times per week, minimum of two Saturdays and two Sundays per month and entire holiday season (October – December). Vacation is not allowed during the holiday season. Must be present for annual inventories and on other dates as directed by the Company Store Supervisor.
Depending on the team dynamic and structure of the store the duties such as Visual Merchandising lead and Volunteer Coordinator may fall to the Manager or Assistant Manager.
Customer Service (40%)
- Exemplify the highest level of customer service standards outlined in the Sales and Service Standards and reinforce those standards and principles by regularly providing feedback to staff.
- Anticipate and resolve customer service issues.
- Utilize the intranet and on-line catalog to follow through on special orders and customer requests.
- Monitor store’s actual conversion rates compared to goals on a weekly and monthly basis. Work with staff and volunteers to ensure these goals are achieved through excellent customer service and effective selling techniques.
- Direct and oversee effective floor management and ensure staff coverage in store as needed.
- Maintain an awareness and control of loss prevention through attentive customer service and company policies.
Store Operations (25%)
- Ensure that store meets or exceeds sales goals.
- Manage profit and loss statement of store to ensure that budgeted surplus is achieved.
- Provide Visual Merchandising lead:
- Supervise floor moves.
- Execute floor moves at appropriate times or as needed.
- Maintain store floor according to Ten Thousand Villages Visual Merchandising Standards.
- Maintain complete store appearance including displays and back office through regular cleaning, straightening and dusting.
- Plan and execute store promotional activities with assistance from store team.
- Maintain involvement in local community by scheduling, overseeing and directing off-site sales, special events and store promotions.
- Manage all aspects of inventory control through effective use of goal sheets, minimum/maximum settings and sales reports to ensure that correct inventory levels are maintained and all ordering, receiving and claims are issued and processed.
- Manage store operating procedures, including but not limited to inventory levels, cash control, daily and monthly paperwork and reporting.
- Work with store team to receive, price and stock all orders as delivered.
Staff Leadership and Development (35%)
- Promote and maintain a sales culture that is positive for all staff and volunteers.
- In cooperation with Human Resources and the Company Store Division Manager, recruit, interview and select qualified candidates that will build a sales team able to achieve current and future store and organizational goals.
- Plan and communicate the daily agenda for staff and volunteers at beginning of each day.
- Provide leadership as the Volunteer Coordinator:
- Recruit interested persons to volunteer with Ten Thousand Villages.
- Interview all potential volunteers to determine fit within store structure.
- Train and coach volunteers to provide excellent customer service according to Sales and Service Standards and Sales Associate Training Manual.
- Appreciate volunteers on a regular basis.
- Schedule volunteers and track their hours.
- Train, develop, and motivate all staff to provide excellent customer service according to Sales and Service Standards and Sales Associate Training Manual.
- Assess performance of all staff and volunteers and provide ongoing feedback; complete and provide staff evaluations on a yearly basis.
- Plan and conduct staff and volunteer meetings at least monthly to ensure effective communication of policies and procedures, product updates, interoffice memos, and opportunity for staff feedback.
- Ensure that staff and volunteers have a pleasant and safe work environment by following safety procedures and guidelines.
- Managers are required to travel to Akron, PA for meetings and training. These occur 2 to 4 times per year and expenses are covered by the organization. Managers must also attend all monthly conference calls to stay updated on new and changing policies and procedures.
- Work with Company Store Division Manager to ensure best opportunity for store success.
Ten Thousand Villages office and warehouse are located in Akron and Brownstown, PA. Both towns are located in Lancaster County